Sunday, July 10, 2011

Cheapo Vases

This little project took me maybe 10 minutes from start to finish and costs over $1 a piece. I made several of these for a church dinner.  We needed something cute and cheap for a centerpiece and this is what I came up with:

Cute, right?  And seriously, I am like one of the least crafty and creative people you'll find.  I somehow thought of it myself!  It's really not that genius or anything.  Here's how you do it:

I found the vases at the dollar store.  The fabric is from JoAnn's.  Yeah, I bought it just for this project but if you had scrap fabric lying around then this project would be perfect for using it up!  I used a 40% off coupon and got a small bit of it for pretty cheap.
  
Anyways, cut the fabric as long and wide as you need it.  If you have one of those roto cutter things with the quilting mat, then this will take about 1 minute to do, and you'll have perfectly straight edges.  Otherwise, have fun cutting with scissors!




Next, you'll spray glue onto the ugly side of the fabric.  You read that right!  SPRAY GLUE!  I did not know that such a thing exhisted but alas, there are many varieties of spray adhesive available.  I used the cheap stuff by Elmer's.  Something to note is the stuff is not permanent glue.  As in, once you adhere your fabric to your glass, it can be removed fairly easily.  It will leave sticky residue behind.


Alright, here's what's really genius.... you wrap your sticky pieces of fabric around the vase!!



What next?  Ah, yes!  The ribbon!!  Cut.  Wrap.  Tie.

And...

Voila!!! 


Total cost: 
Maybe $2 per vase, and that is estimating high!

No comments:

Post a Comment